Activation Problems for OOTP
Posted by - NA -, Last modified by Gary Breckenridge on 20 March 2015 12:37 AM
Generally speaking, activating the game works on the first attempt, but if you try several times and still can't get it to activate, you should read the following article. A common error message when attempting to activate the game is "The game could not be activated. Please try again later." The most common cause for this error is that you've reached the activation limit of two. This is possible even if you've only installed the game on one computer. If you think you've reached the activation limit (which is two simultaneous activations), then you'll need to submit a support ticket to get help. The steps below won't help if you've reached the limit already. But all other activation problems should be fixable by following the steps below.
- First off, the activation servers may be slow at responding especially during the first several days after the release of a new version. If you can't activate, you may just have to keep trying several more times.
- Make sure you entered the key correctly, including the OOTP15- at the beginning (or OOTP14-, depending on the version of your game). The only letter O's in the code are in "OOTP", otherwise it's a zero. Also, make sure there is no blank space at the beginning or ending of the code (in case you copied and pasted it).
- If you're running Windows Vista/7/8, be sure and right-click the game icon and choose "run as administrator" the first time you run the game or else it might not activate.
- The game can be activated on only two computers. Once you reach this limit, you need to deactivate from one of your computers before you can install onto a third one. If you cannot deactivate an installation, submit a support ticket and we'll do it for you.
- You can enable debug mode for troubleshooting the activation problem (not needed for OOTP 14-15).
- If you mistakenly bought the Linux version (from PISD), you won't be able to activate the Windows version using these codes. Go here to find out how to resolve this.
- If you persistently get this error and cannot resolve it, you can also manually activate the game using these instructions. Please don't skip this step even though it involves many additional steps. When all else fails, this usually works.
- If all of the above fails, submit a support ticket and we'll help you resolve this.