For most tech support issues, a debug log file will be helpful. For example because it contains information about your computer hardware and system setup. No worries, it does not contain confidential information. It's plain text, so you can easily have a look.
To enable debug mode, open the Game Settings dialog as shown in the following screenshot. Start OOTP, click on "Settings" on the main screen (1), open the "Troubleshooting" tab (2), then enable debug mode by selecting "Write info into file" (3). In case of FTP/online league problems, also enable FTP debug (5).
- Then click on OK and close OOTP!
- Restart OOTP
- If you want to know where the file is located, open the "Troubleshooting" tab again and click on "Open folder containing debug files" (if that button does not exist, click on "Open folder containing customizable data" (8). Do you see a folder named "debug"? If you do not see the "debug" folder, click on "Open folder containing saved games" (7). Do you see the debug folder there? Open the "debug" folder). Keep that file explorer window open (in the background).
- Simulate the tech support issue, for example start a simulation or a file upload or whereever the problem occurs. Then, do NOT restart OOTP!
- If the game crashes, do not restart it! A restart would overwrite the log file again!
- Either open the file explorer window showing the "debug" folder or open the troubleshooting dialog and click on "Open log file". Copy or rename the debug file "ootp_trace.txt" or the content of it (and ftp_trace.txt, if you have trouble with FTP). The tech support will need the complete file as an attachement to the support ticket! Please do not send the file as screenshot, as MS Word file or as PDF. Just send the original text file, that would be the best for us.
Attention: whenever you start OOTP, the debug files will be overwritten with a new, fresh file! If you want to keep a file, make a copy of it!
Debug mode slows down the game! If you don't need the debug log file, disable debug mode again by selecting "Don't write debug info into file".